Monday, January 21, 2008

Tiny Banana vs. Ginormous Avocado



Gonna bake, gonna bake some bread, gonna bake some vegan banana bread...was the simple goal for my very simple Sunday morning.

It turned out ok, but the bananas I used were tiny (see pic and compare it to my two inch teaspoon) although fresh off the tree (er, megaherb as I guess a banana isn't technically a "tree")and I don't think I used enough.

Con: It was very sugary.
Pro: I dusted the top with coconut flakes which were delightful.

Equipment
8X4 bread pan

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
3 very ripe bananas, mashed well (more if tiny)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk, mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
Coconut flakes

Directions
Preheat oven to 350f
Do what you have to in order to "unstickify" your pan

Sift flour, baking soda, salt, spices

Stir together applesauce, sugar, bananas, soy milk, vanilla

Mix wet and dry together. Pour into pan. Bake one hour (although mine was good to go a 45m so check)

Dust with coconut flakes about 25min into baking so they don't burn (don't want to happen to you what happened to me!)

Thanks to my friend Kristen who sourced the original version for this recipe from Post Punk Kitchen.

I am not really a vegan but I have been trying to abstain from using milk, eggs and meat for the month until I can find way to get them from local, sustainable sources. This also goes for fruit/veg.

I did enjoy a few bites of Big Eye Tuna that Nick picked up from a fisherman on the side of the road on Saturday. I felt ok with this because it was pole caught meaning:
1. It was a younger fish with less mercury content
2. It rated as "Good" by the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch

Update: One of the benefits of my job is being gifted fantastic produce from volunteers. Check out this avocado I was given this morning:



Can't wait to smash it on an everything bagel, my favorite lunch!

Also, I have to admit from time to time in the frazzle of a Monday workday, I have a great office view:

No comments: