Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Keeping the Peace

So this morning I was going to get up at 6:30am and go for a run. Just like yesterday morning and yes, the yesterday before that. What these mornings all have in common is that I woke up, thought "What the f? Tired. Must slee...." before dozing off.

This drives Nick understandably crazy. I have always loved to set alarms for 10, 15, 20 minutes before I actually have to get up. Something about waking up and knowing I have this blissful period of time to wallow in warm morning sheets marveling over the pattern of colors that stream behind my eyelids, listening to the roosters out under the mango tree, contemplating old aretha franklin lyrics or trying to remember the name of the girl I sat next to in third grade who smelled like peanut butter (Casey Waltz).

One of the biggest realizations I've made about long-term relationships (marriage, de facto, etc) is that sometimes compromise is necessary. In this case it's a simple cost benefit analysis. The benefits of my bed wallowing do not outweigh the benefits of my honey getting undisturbed sleep.

So Nick, as an early Valentine's Day gift, in a public forum, I vow to never set my alarm earlier than I need to again (while you are home-when you're doing field work doesn't count).

Deal?

No comments: